Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Venting

The other day I went to the Small Business Administration Department to get advice on starting a business. The gentleman said my idea was great--there was definitely a market for the service I want to offer. Afterwards, I went to a small town and called the phone number of a leasing company for a price range of commercial rental space. The least expensive quote was $4.50 per square foot. Based on a small 1000 ft. property, the monthly rent would be $4,500/month or $54,000 a year in rent.

I was outraged! So if someone is trying to start a business, before any other expense they have to make $54,000 a year just to cover the rent. Is there any wonder why birthday and greeting cards cost so much? Yet, there are empty commercial properties all over the place. Wouldn't it make more sense to charge less for rental of four walls and parking than to not be collecting any money? If the rent was less expensive, then prices for the American consumer would be lower. Maybe the average American would be better off financially and more individuals would be able to start a business.

No comments:

Post a Comment