Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Who said so?

Over the past year, I have been reading with great ferocity on a variety of subjects. This all began after I read the book The 4-Hour Workweek written by Timothy Ferriss. The title of the book may cause you to think that I have since begun dreaming of working only four hours a week with hopes of becoming one of the wealthy. Not so. Actually, there was one sentence that stuck with me and apparently has created an insatiable need to question almost everything I have been taught to believe. He posed the question:  Who ever decided that it takes 40 hours a week to perform a job?

A simple question, but what is the answer? Why do we go to school for 12 years (generally speaking) and then seek employment that will keep us working until we retire? How many other things have we been “groomed” for without even realizing that they aren’t true? For example, why do we mow our lawns, fertilize the weeds, and plant flowers strategically around our yards? Yet, we try to protect the rainforests of the Amazon never recognizing that we have destroyed our own lands through deforestation in the name of development and progress.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment